Monday, September 14, 2009

Diabetes: Master of Invisibility

Hi.

My name is April.

Here I am:




I'm a normal girl...at least on the outside...

I have a normal bathroom cabinet....many of you have probably seen it.



But you may not have seen what is inside...



I have a normal right hand...


Because I usually don't like to wear this...



You may have seen my normal backpack...



But I bet you didn't know all this was inside...




You may not have ever known that this is attached to me all the time...


Because I usually hide it in an undisclosed location...


You may have seen my normal car...



But did you ever notice the carbohydrate counter on the inside of the door?




This refrigerator may look normal...



But did you ever look a little closer inside one of the drawers?




This hand may look normal...



But would you ever guess it is the hand of a Diabetic who has to draw blood from her fingers 8 times a day?


Have you seen this picture? I bet you have...



Did you know I was having a low blood sugar?

This week, September 14-20th is Invisible Illness Awareness Week.

Diabetes is an invisible disease...on the outside everything looks normal, but on the inside you can go from feeling fine to sweaty, exhausted, grumpy and confused in a matter of minutes. On the inside you always have to be ready for a Diabetic emergency and plan out every part of your day. On the inside....Diabetes is anything but invisible.

1 comment:

  1. This is artistic and informational!!! WELL DONE! I have been diabetic for 26+ years...

    ReplyDelete